Friday, May 11, 2007

The Adventures of Chicken Tikka.

You know you love your mummy so much when you would practically risk your life just to buy her three pieces of her favourite Chicken Tikka.

When my mum heard I was going to Dubai, she turned to me and simply said, " I want three pieces, non-spicy."

Yes of course, Your Highness.

So I ventured out on my last day in Dubai to get her desired chicken...

I left my hotel at 10:45am (I had a fitful nights sleep, which resulted in me awaking at 7am). I intended to just run out, hop on a cab, grab her chicken and go back to my hotel and nap before work.

As always, things in my life are never so simple.

Now the last time I actually went by myself to buy the chicken was one year ago (and even then I had company.). I don't know the address, and the only point of navigation I knew was from the now-defunct Intercontinental Hotel.

Gosh. Tat was a long time ago... : /

Anyway..

So I dropped off at the hotel and TRIED desperately to remember my way from there. I walked around... TRYING not to look lost and not to stick out like a sore I-obviously-do-not-come-from-your-country thumb.

Now remember, I have a broken compass built into my head.

So I walked. Heart thumping.. plams sweating.. praying in my heart I was walking in the right direction and that those bearded men would stop looking so strangely at me.

And there.. that area looked familiar. I remember walking that same place in the searing heat before.

I picked up my pace, walking more confidently and TAH DAH! The Tikka Shop! I was SO relieved. I took off my sunglasses and pushed the door.. and pushed.. and drat it! The store wasn't even open YET.

Oh how typical of my life.

The sign I spotted proudly proclaimed that the store would open at 12noon. It was only 11am. What the hell was I going to do in this God-forsaken part of town for one hour???

I wanted to sit on the curb and wail.

But NO! Geri is not so weak.

I have come so frickin far, I will NOT go back to my hotel without the damn chicken!

So I decided to go to the City Centre to get Krispy Kremes for everyone.

I spent the next 15mins franctically trying to hail a cab. Almost giving up, I spotted an empty cab and literally CHASED after it while it had stopped at a red light. I flung the door open, panting heavily I wailed to the driver, "to the City Centre PLLEEAASSEE????"

Oh the poor terrified cabbie.

He never stood a chance.

So he drove me to the City Centre. And that's how all of you (alright..FINE. The THREE of you) got your Krispy Kremes.

And yup... I finally got the chicken.

I knew it was all worth the effort as I watched my mum happily chew on the drumstick.

:)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww...:)

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha you can be so sweet geri.
thank you.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home