Thursday, May 10, 2007

The People's Republic

Finally I had a chance to go sightseeing in China!
.
Its so hard to find like-minded kaki's to go sightseeing, you know? ;)
.
Rushed down with Cat and Aiman to Tianamen Square in the evening to catch their flag lowering ceremony.
.
We waited for the sun to set (as that is when they will lower the flag).. and waited.. and waited.
.
We waited for an hour, squashed amongst the crowd of very excited Chinamen (and women) ;p
.
After piquing the curiosity of some Chinese ladies next to us with my Indian accent (I was doing my classic Indian impersonations), we ended up chatting with them (they wanted to know where I was from..hahaha) and found out they were visiting Beijing from another part of China.
.
"What time will the flag lowering ceremony start?", Cat asked. In her perfect, china accented mandarin. I just kept mum. If anybody knows me... My Mandarin sucks.
.
"7.20pm", she replied.
.
It was 6.50pm and we had already waited for an hour.
.
We asked if she had waited long. She said, "Its doesn't matter. I can stand here and look at our flag for a long time."
.
OKAY... wow.
.
She is one patriotic woman.
.
Three of us then decided not to wait amongst the crowd anymore, and come back at 7.20pm.
.
While snapping pics at 7:15pm, we turned back to see the flag gone and the soldiers marching away.
.
Dammit.
.
How typical of my life.
.
Tianamen Square

It really is a huge square!
.

Cat and Me.. acting cute. hee.
.

Looks familiar? That's Mr. Sun Yat Sen :)
.

I was so hoping they would start marching in that menacing communist style, with their legs straight instead of bent. They didnt. Oh darn.
.


Thats the Forbidden City in the background. I must go next time :)


Bored and stuck amongst the crowd. So.. take stupid pics la. ;)


*waves my little red book*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home